JellyPages.com

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

What Time Is It?

OK, so I’m confused. I get sleepy during the day and I’m wide awake at night. I try to convince Mama and Papa that it’s time to be awake, but they don’t seem convinced. Our first day in Nairobi, I thought I had it figured out. I woke up while it was still dark outside, but I had an announcement to make. “It’s daytime somewhere!”
Papa told me I was right, but that it wasn’t daytime in Nairobi. Here’s where things get a little fuzzy. According to Mama, my sleep schedule went like this:

Day 1 - Awake at 4:00AM
Day 2 - Awake at 2:00AM
Day 3 - Awake at 1:00AM

Papa said I was “going the wrong direction,” whatever that means. On all those days, I didn’t go back to sleep after I woke up. Sometimes, I got in trouble because I kept asking Mama and Papa questions while they were trying to sleep, but one night was the most fun night I’ve ever had.

It was the 2:00AM day and I woke up when the power went out in our room. That meant the fan went off and it was really really quiet. It also meant that I had to go potty in the dark. Well, not really dark because Mama had a flashlight. That’s when the fun began.

Do you know how much fun a flashlight can be when it is really really dark? Papa decided that since we were all awake anyway, he should get out his flashlight, too, and we could have a flashlight war.

It really wasn’t much of a war, but it was a lot of fun! We made animal shapes with our hands and Papa made a HUGE shadow of my head on the wall. We found out that if you put the flashlight under the blanket and shine it at the ceiling, it makes a funny pattern. We also learned that you can make the whole room blue like you’re in the ocean by shining the light through a blue bottle of water.

That was a lot of fun and I’m glad Mama and Papa were good sports. I think they thought if I got out a little energy, I would go back to sleep. WRONG! It’s hard to sleep when your body wants to be awake. And it’s hard to be awake when your body wants to sleep. After the 2:00AM day, we drove to Nakuru with our driver, Mr. Peter. He was funny, but I was really really tired, so I fell asleep.

I woke up just before we got to Nakuru and I got to spend the rest of the day with my friend Julia. I’ll tell you about that next time! But for now, you’ll be glad to know that I FINALLY slept until the sun came up. Mama and Papa seemed really happy this morning and said I slept until 6:45AM. Papa said they’ve ever been happy for me to get up that early, but this is Africa!

I’m having so much fun here, but for now, I need to go, because Mama says it’s time for a nap. I’m TOTALLY not tired, but (yawn)...I guess I’ll go...night-night...now...

No comments:

Post a Comment